Thursday, May 11, 2006

A Mormon for President?

There are a lot of Mitt Romney in 2008 sites out there... so I decided to read a bit about him yesterday. I had no idea he was a Mormon (or Orrin Hatch for that matter), a BYU graduate and that he was a missionary for LDS in France for two years.

I know it's cliché, but I can't get my head around someone required to wear magic underpants (temple garments, protective garments, garmies) being the leader of the free world. Someone who answers to "a prophet"...someone that names his son "Tagg"...someone whose first name is Willard. Especially since HBO's "Big Love" has brought the spotlight onto the darker side of the Mormon religion... (I know the main sect outlawed polygamy --but how many still practice in secret?)

Do you think a Mormon could be elected President?

I ordered The Mormon Killings yesterday, so I'm sure I'll have more to say about this. Did Joseph Smith Jr. receive his "revelation" from a Salamander or was that document proven to be a forgery (that's what we learned in High School in a "Cult class" elective)?

No comments: