Monday, April 10, 2006

In the Sandbox...


Please Explain Combat Pay

"I’m not sure I completely understand combat pay.

Why is it that people in Kuwait or Baghdad get paid the same we do? Kuwait hasn’t seen contact for over two years.

I went to Camp Victory in Baghdad and I couldn’t believe what I saw. Soldiers were walking around in physical training uniforms in the middle of the day, talking on their cell phones to their loved ones back home. When they get hot, they can easily go to the palace pool and relax or work on their tan.

It really makes me mad that we are getting the same combat/hazardous-duty pay they are. It seems almost every night we are woken up with a loud boom from a roadside bomb. We are lucky to get 20 minutes on the phone to call our families, but even that, most of the time, doesn’t happen. The phones we have are always down, and the Internet is so slow that it isn’t worth waiting in an hourlong line to pull up only five pages in the 30 minutes we are allotted.

I’m not complaining about our living conditions because I was expecting a lot worse. I’m just wondering why we aren’t seeing any extra money after the supposed raise in hazardous-duty pay, especially when it is obvious that we are in a worse base and in a more hazardous area than most other people who are deployed."

-Spc. Nathaniel R. Brown, Iskandariyah, Iraq (Stars & Stripes: Letters to the Editor)

...girls of the Army...
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

No comments: