Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I Dropped the Ball...

It's not the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last...but damn, don't you hate those 'what ifs' in life...

I have shared with you all about Ninja's harrowing dental adventures as of late. We are finally done ($1600, an extraction, a spacer, two root canals, two caps, and five fillings later) and I was thinking a lot over the weekend about why...

Four years ago we moved from in Philly to Philly-ish. I called the township and asked if there was fluoride in the water. "I'm sure there is," the annoyed office worker replied, "Philadelphia has tons of fluoride." She didn't know for sure though and I SHOULD HAVE called the water company and asked. I should have called when my pediatrician asked me once or twice if I had found out about the fluoride for sure. Should have. Didn't...until this morning.

Our fluoride level? ZERO. I then called the pediatrician and she informed me that both boys should have been getting fluoride tablets 3X a week for the past four years. Last, I called the township to inform them --so no one else would have to learn this very expensive and very painful lesson the hard way. The woman was impervious to my concern. Oh well, I tried.

The moral of the story? If you have children under 16, make sure to call your local water company for your fluoride levels...even if people have told you it's there. One of the few times I keep my big mouth shut and Mason paid dearly for it. Fluorinated water has eliminated tons of the dental disasters of the past in children...but cities, towns, etc. are not required to add it.

No comments: