Tuesday, April 11, 2006

$218 Trillion Dollar Phone Bill...

The Man recently got a bill from Juno claiming he owes them 5 months of back pay (or something like that). The thing is, we've never had Juno. We have Comcast and a Nextel cell phone modem for the laptop when we're not at home...so why would we have a dial-up service? It was so frustrating trying to get this through to them. Finally The Man was asking if they could check to see if he's ever logged in, set up or received and email...etc. And asking them why he would have a service for however long and never once use it? I realize as I write this that I have no idea if the situation was ever resolved, but the moral of the story is customer service mess-ups can evolve into mega nightmares. Long gone is the "Customer is always right" philosophy...

Which makes me feel for this guy in Malaysia. His father passed away in January, so he had his phone shut off and paid the outstanding balance ($23 USD). he recently received a bill for $218 trillion dollars and a letter saying that he had 10 days to pay or legal action would be taken...

"It wasn't clear whether the bill was a mistake, or if Yahaya's father's phone line was used illegally after his death.

"If the company wants to seek legal action as mentioned in the letter, I'm ready to face it," the paper quoted Yahaya as saying. "In fact, I can't wait to face it," he said.

Yahaya, from northern Kedah state, received a notice from the company's debt-collection agency in early April, the paper said. Yahaya said he nearly fainted when he saw the new bill. Government-linked Telekom Malaysia Bhd. is the country's largest telecommunications company." (source)

I love stories like this because I can use them when I go into "My Life as a Dog" mode (is that an obscure reference...I never know?)... I'm guessing no one can top this customer service nightmare...

No comments: