Friday, March 10, 2006

Inside Scientology

Wow, I just finished reading a really long expose about the secretive cult of Scientology that Courtney sent me. Again, wow.

I knew this was a wacky religion --I just had no idea how wacky.

I know that some people think that believing the world was "created" is silly, but at least there isn't documented fact that Matthew, Mark, Luke or John said, "Hey, I'm going to start my own religion 'cause that's where the money is!". Even L. Ron Hubbard's own son knew he was a fraud.

Apparently there was this guy named Xenu who controlled 37 (or maybe 67) planets, but they soon became grossly overpopulated. He had to scoop up 137 million people and throw them into the volcanoes on Earth. They were spewed from the volcanoes -their essences that had lived for million of years now trapped in human bodies... (but this is classified knowledge that you don't find out until years (and hundreds of thousands of dollars) of study --it comes in a manila envelope and you must sign a waiver that you'll never tell. Thanks to the internet and scanners, we know without ever paying a dime...

OK, here's a teaser from the article:

"Both of Natalie's parents are Clear, she says. Her grandmother is what's called an "Operating Thetan," or "OT." So is Tom Cruise, who is near the top of Scientology's Bridge, at a level known as OT VII. OTs are Scientology's elite -- enlightened beings who are said to have total "control" over themselves and their environment. OTs can allegedly move inanimate objects with their minds, leave their bodies at will and telepathically communicate with, and control the behavior of, both animals and human beings. At the highest levels, they are allegedly liberated from the physical universe, to the point where they can psychically control what Scientologists call MEST: Matter, Energy, Space and Time." (source)

Something that occurred to me while I was reading... Do you know how a lot of people believe that Tom Cruise is gay and doesn't understand why he doesn't just admit it? Well, I didn't realize that homosexuality is one of the things that you get deprogrammed for in Scientology... Katie Holmes: the cover up to help Tom absolve his sins?

I didn't realize how many times they had been in trouble with the government -plots the religion had against the government --and the lengths they will go to to shut up dissenters (ex-members website). I also didn't know journalists and psychiatrists were forbidden from joining...

I know it's really long, but I just couldn't stop reading this. Fascinating --and a bit scary. Read the Article in Rolling Stone.

No comments: