Friday, March 17, 2006

Illegal Immigration: Devil's Advocate

As I was reading this story yesterday about the Los Angeles Archdiocese calling for priests to ignore a new immigration law I couldn't help but think of some things The Man has said to me about the illegals that are on some of the jobs that he does...

Now I am not an illegal sympathizer (I mean individually I'm sure I would be but I realize the security risk and tax burden it places on our country), but I have to strongly disagree with one widely touted notion...

It's NOT only about cheap labor. Though we have never hired an "undocumented worker" because of the principle of it --The Man would love too. Not because he could pay them less but because they have heart and a real desire to work and earn their money. The Man is never impressed with anyone's work ethic because he is a complete work-a-holic, so according to him everyone could be busting their ass more than they do...except the "Brazilians" (as he says). He talks about them all the time. How tireless they are. How they WANT to work. How they do quality work. How they get there early and leave late. The Man would rather work with these guys than Union guys any day.

Everyone makes hiring illegals about exploiting them and getting something for less, but maybe it's about the fact that many Americans are lazy, slovenly and soft. Maybe if Americans (that are getting paid top dollar) would show half the zeal and dedication of these Brazilians they wouldn't have to worry about an undocumented worker taking their place...

Just sayin'.

No comments: