Wednesday, March 29, 2006

A Childhood Wrong -Righted for $25


When I was 10 years old McDonalds introduced the "Great Muppet Caper" commemorative glasses. Remember them? I had three and needed the fourth to complete my series. I needed Kermit. Justrose, Liz, Justrose's brother and I all rode our bikes (my beloved pink Huffy 'Thunder Rose' pink dirt bike) to McDonalds. As I rode home (about 3/4 mile) with one hand on my handlebar and the other clutching the Kermit glass, JR's brother and I started to race... I hit a bump at the top of our street and flew from my bike. After skidding about 10 feet on my palms and face, I lay there in a heap with Kermit glass all over me and no skin left on the inside of my hands.

The next thing I really remember was being in the Emergency room with JR -the doctor telling us that I probably had a concussion and could start "projectile vomiting". I remember Rose and I giggling uncontrollably through the explanation of that...

The point of this little childhood recollection was a preface as to why I am so delighted that yesterday, in a new little vintage toy shop near my house, I purchased the entire McDonald's Muppet Caper glass collection for the low, low price of $25. I have no idea what I will do with them (the glass is way too thin to actually use them with two boys in the house), but a childhood dream of owning the whole collection has been brought to fruition --even if it took 24 years...

No comments: