Thursday, February 02, 2006

In the Sandbox...


‘Anti-American Rhetoric’

Thank you for publishing “On Iraq, hold your ground and give parades a rest” (opinion, Joel Stein). I enjoy seeing views from both sides of the political spectrum because I get the opportunity to view many different opinions, including opinions like this, which vary greatly from my own.

Now that formalities are out of the way, I just have to say “Wow.” Stein represents everything about our country that caused George Bush to be elected for a second term. This anti-American rhetoric is appalling, and quite frankly, disgusting. It marginalizes what so many men and women over the years have worked, bled, sweat and died to keep our freedom intact. If you don’t support the troops, fine by me. But don’t express your freedom of speech without realizing the prices that have been paid. No amount of money paid it, sir. Lives paid that toll.

Life is peachy in America. A huge bubble that was burst on 9/11 then slowly mended as everyone went their separate ways. But the truth is, people want to hurt us. They want to make us suffer. They want nothing more than for Americans, and all that we stand for, to perish.

So, I say to Stein: Step out of your bubble and breathe in a dose of reality. That men and women put their lives on the line every day all over the world so you can spout your (in my opinion) anti-America nonsense to your mindless readers.

I’m reminded of the words to a song:

“I will always do my duty, no matter what the price. I’ve counted up the cost, I know the sacrifice.
“And I don’t want to die for you, but if dying’s asked of me, I’ll bear that cross with honor, because freedom don’t come free.
“I’m an American soldier.”

-Albert Shepard, Camp Navistar, Kuwait (Stars & Stripes: Letters to the Editor)

...USMC girls...
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six

No comments: