Monday, January 23, 2006

Some Things I Never Knew...

I was watching Amistad yesterday as I was packing. That movie is always very hard to watch -- as it should be.

Anyway, my point... After the movie, I began looking up and reading articles about the origins of slavery in the United States and found some interesting things. This Article in particular.

The estimated total of Africans that were sold into the slave trade is 9,566,000, but what I didn't know is the United States (or then British colonies) received the fewest number of those captured and sold. South America took 1/2 of the entire slave population (4,700,000) and the West Indes 40% (4,040,000). The United States 399,000. That means that South America had 12 slaves to North America's 1, and the W. Indes 10 slaves to our 1. Pretty staggering numbers. I'm wondering why I never heard them before.

I also found this page that contains records of slaves and the slave owners in Pennsylvania --I am happy to say that neither of my family names are on any list.

"Freedom is not given. It is our right at birth. But there are some moments when it must be taken." –Amistad

No comments: