Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Murtha Wouldn't Join Today's Marine Corps...

The previously unknown, now quite famous (infamous?) Representative John Murtha says that he would not join today's military. He is a decorated Vietnam veteran and was a Marine for 37 years.

On face value this makes no sense to this civilian. The military is better funded, equipped and trained than ever before...not because of Bush, but because that's what time and technological advancement does. Why would someone that served with the limited resources of Vietnam not chomp at the bit to play with the "toys" the boys have now?

The Nightline interviewer surmised Murtha's meaning... he said, "And I think you're saying the average guy out there who's considering recruitment is justified in saying 'I don't want to serve'". (source) I would have liked Murtha to explain what he meant without having a ready-made answer handed to him. I know, that's way too much to ask...

This article ponders the prospect that Murtha was actually saying people shouldn't be enlisting. I guess it wouldn't surprise me. I can almost hear the "thinking"... "If there is an enlistment protest, Bush will have to end this illegal war..." --or something of that nature.

Murtha doesn't bother me the way Kerry did, I just feel bad for all the Marines I know cringe every time he talks these days.

No comments: