Monday, January 30, 2006

In the Sandbox...


No ‘Noise-Making Campaign’

I just watched a story on American Forces Network news that talked about celebrities such as Ed Asner and Harry Belafonte supporting a group that is calling for a nationwide “noise-making campaign” during President Bush’s State of the Union address.

I have to tell this group, get a clue. The State of the Union address is required by the Constitution. Bush has no choice, he has to give it.

I fully support the group’s right to protest, which is also protected by the Constitution. However, this form of protesting is inane. Use political action committees and contact Congress members or stage a “Million-Person-for-Bush-Deposing” march. Do something that does not fly in the face of what the Constitution says is required of the president.

The State of the Union address is designed to tell the American public how the country is doing right now and give a view of the president’s plan for the country in the next year. Regardless of who the president is, I look forward to the State of the Union address, if for no other reason than to heckle the television as it plays.

I won’t say whether I support Bush, but I think a protest, if you can call it that, in this form is horribly anti-constitutional. If you support the Constitution, I urge you to not take part in this type of protest and urge anyone you know to forgo this protest also.

-Sgt. Daniel Pond, Heidelberg, Germany (Stars & Stripes: Letters to the Editor)

...some more of our US Army girls...
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight

No comments: