Saturday, December 17, 2005

"Cold in the Night"

Yes, I changed the words to Hark the Herald Angels Sing, but as a joke (a satire if you will), but this is for real.
(Sing "Silent Night"):
Cold in the night, no one in sight, winter winds whirl and bite, how I wish I were happy and warm, safe with my family out of the storm.

For a performance in its "winter program," a Wisconsin elementary school has changed the beloved Christmas carol "Silent Night," calling the song "Cold in the Night" and secularizing the lyrics....
...Liberty Counsel says this year's winter program included decorating classrooms with Santa Claus, Kwanzaa symbols, menorahs and La Befana, a mythical witch that's a part of traditional Christmas celebrations in Italy." (source)

Blogger Jason Coleman (self-proclaimed atheist) has a great article about "Christmas" and "Holiday"...

"I'm sorry, but AS AN ATHEIST, the term "Holiday" is FAR MORE OFFENSIVE than the term "Christmas". Christmas means alot of things to alot of people, and it means different things to different people. For some it's all about Christ in the Manger, for others it's a Pagan Winter Solstice Festival, for some it's just a day off from work, and for others it's about a guy in a red suit who comes down your chimney and trades you a new bike for some milk and cookies.

But the word "Holiday" means "Holy Day", there's no other etymology for the term, and as a REAL atheist, I just can't support that." (Read the post)

As I have said before... I'm not asking we ONLY talk about the "real" meaning of Christmas --I just don't want it to be the one thing we CAN'T talk about!

No comments: