Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Tammy Faye...Philosopher?

Well, not really, but she did say something that got me thinking...

Surreal Life was on the TV in my room (don't ask). Tammy Faye Baker was on and speaking at her book signing (don't ask), and she said something that really struck me....something I found amazingly astute (I can't believe I'm admitting this).

Baker spoke of ancient civilizations where the punishment for murder was to carry the dead victim strapped to your back. Eventually, the murderer would be killed by the rotting corpse he was forever tied to (quite ingenious actually). She equated this to how we carry toxic people and grudges on our backs. We hold on to things that are unhealthy and will hold us back. "Put that man down and be free to live".

Wow. That lost a lot of the finesse in translation. Well, the meaning was one that I liked. We waste so much time being angry and bitter. By looking back in regret instead of forward in anticipation. I am guilty of this with The Man's business. Harboring so much hate for "friends" that have "forgotten" about large invoices. How can someone hire you and then claim to have no money? Sigh, It's done and carrying it around only makes me feel anger and tension.

Thanks Tammy...I'm laying down the dead bodies of D** Leader, B*** McKeever and D*** & S**** Fazio. I will trust that Karma will deal with them.

1 comment:

lindabkatz said...

I'm writing a post on anger and remembered this quote from the movie I saw when it first came out in the 90's! Thanks for the brilliant way you captured this quote. I'll be referencing your blog (when I write it!).

Thanks again and great writing!