Tuesday, November 29, 2005

On Single Women...

I think some people may have taken my post on social security yesterday as an indictment on single women. Not so. Actually, this can work as a nice segue to something I have been thinking about...

I actually have much respect for single women. Rock on to those of you that hold your standards and your ground instead of marrying the first Neanderthal that comes around because you don't want to be alone...

Also I wanted to commend the single women for something else...something that seems to pass by with no notice.

All the money and time you spend on your married friends. First the friend gets engaged and you have to get a gift (let's say $50) for the engagement party (bad Bridezilla, this is sooo tacky unless your last name is Vanderbilt, Hearst or Hilton). Then there's the bridal shower...another $50 to $100. Then she asks you to be in the wedding so you probably helped throw the shower, and had to buy some god-awful dress (another $300). Then the bachelorette party, and finally the wedding (another $150 -$200). So after your out about $600 to celebrate your friends nuptials (that have a 70% chance of ending in divorce) she announces that she got pregnant on her honeymoon and almost seven months to the day after the wedding you are in Babies 'R Us looking for yet another gift. Then baby comes and you can't go to the hospital empty handed...so more money spent. It's then that she apologizes that she can't get you a birthday gift because she has a family now...

I wasn't a Bridezilla. No engagement party, bachelorette party or bridal shower and most important...no horrible bridesmaid dresses. Go buy a black dress that you love, looks good on you and that you will wear again. AB isn't a Bridezilla either. Thank God.

Last but not least, I LOVE my single-kid free friends. You don't need to "ask" a hubby if you can go out or find a sitter. After Mason was born I could call Liz when I got a free second and say "Wanna go get a Pedi?" and she could just go. It's so refreshing. This is my acknowledgement of single women and all you silently endure. It has not gone unnoticed (at least by me anyway...)

No comments: