Tuesday, November 29, 2005

No Kids and School Taxes...

A second issue that came up in the comments of the Social Security post that I thought was worth further exploration:

People that have no children that resent paying school taxes...

Well, there are many different arguments to justify that. Many conservatives would say that no one should pay them and all education should be privatized.

My parents had to pay school taxes even though my dad worked 1,000 jobs to send five kids to private school. I pay school taxes and still pay Mason's tuition each month.

I see it as an investment in the next generation. Right now 75% of Americans have a high school diploma. It's a fact that crime rates rise as education rates fall. If I have to pay for public education even if my kids don't use it, or after they're grown...I look at it as lowering my chances of being held up, carjacked or assaulted.

Those without children shouldn't complain about educating the leaders, business owners and healthcare workers of the future as it will benefit everyone to do so. That's how I see it anyway...

No comments: