Wednesday, November 30, 2005

In the Sandbox...



Give Them Some Respect
"I have been deployed to Iraq for nearly nine months. This is my second tour with this unit. I know the stresses that go along with deploying to a hostile area. What I and many other soldiers don’t understand are the added stresses we encounter daily.

I understand there are standards that must be followed to maintain good discipline and combat readiness. It’s not the standards that create the stress. It’s all the unneeded things on a daily basis outside of the mission that build up to higher stress levels and lower morale.

We are laughed at by other units because of the things we have to do and the way we are treated. I am a man serving with other men and women who want to be treated with respect. We are all here to defend our nation’s freedoms.

The Army value of respect states: Treat people as they should be treated. I agree and also believe you should treat people the way you would want to be treated. I, along with many others, feel we are treated as though we are incompetent and undisciplined. I realize some soldiers need guidance to meet standards, but not all of us. I do not feel comfortable speaking to our chain of command because of the way we are treated and looked down upon because of our ranks. This is not good for maintaining full combat readiness.

I am proud to have served my country and proud to have served with the men and women who stand to the right and left of me. Although the outcome of this letter may not affect me directly, it may influence leaders to look at what their soldiers do for them and give them the respect they deserve as men and women in uniform."
-Spc. Justin Finch, Mosul, Iraq (Stars & Stripes: Letters to the Editor)

...girls of the Army...
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

No comments: