Monday, October 31, 2005

In the Sandbox...

He’ll Remember the Soldiers
"Regardless of one’s take on the political opinion of this war and its cost, each soldier will carry this war zone experience in his or her heart forever.

You know how protective we get when someone bad-mouths our Harley? Well, this soldier feels an even more powerful gut reaction when someone starts waxing political, bad-mouths this war, our president and then in the same breath says “but I support our troops.” It is such a small step between criticizing our president and those of us who volunteer for military service.

God help us if we ever let politics dictate our military maneuvers. War can’t be filled with touchy-feely news reports, perfectly precise airstrikes or injuryless victories. The Wild West wasn’t tamed that way, so what makes us think we can fight even a modern war that way?

Well, this soldier is coming home, but a part of me will still be over here. So, forgive me if I don’t stand up and applaud or if I seem to have a little less patience with some bleeding-heart liberal making some speech against the U.S.A. being in this war.

You see, I can’t get the sight out of my mind’s eye of the wounded U.S. soldiers I have had come through this hospital who made sure they had the right and the freedom to sound so political." -Capt. H.R. Grimm, 228th Combat Support Hospital, Forward Operating Base Speicher, Iraq (source)

...Ft. Carson & Ft. Bliss girls...
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six

No comments: