Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Civil Unions for All...

The ONE thing France does right (aside from the shoe shops that is) is their policy of civil unions for all and religious ceremonies only if one so desires.

Do you know how many problems this would solve here in the U.S.? The "gay marriage" debate is off the table (talking a 'flame' point out of the political debate), two old ladies -that are straight- could get a civil union so there could make medical/financial decisions for each other and no one that isn't adhering to church wishes would be married under a religious pretense.

Many on the right Scream about gays being married as the Bible is clearly against it. I get that argument, but you can't be hypocritical about it...why aren't you screaming about Scientologists getting married? I don't know any gay men that believe in the powers of clay tables and magic underwear. Or how about all the atheists and agnostics that are married? Does it make sense that you would rather an Atheist than a religious gay man is married?

Truthfully, I'm not really comfortable with gay "marriage" either. The Bible is pretty clear about that. I often wonder why any gay person would want to be married. Why label yourself with a religious term that doesn't want you. I know the feeling. The Man and I couldn't get married in a church. My religion wouldn't "unequally yoke" anyone. I respected that because the Bible also says that's a no-no. We went to a JoP.

This doesn't mean that I don't think everyone should have all the same legal rights. I DO. This is why civil unions for all would solve this dilemma...then you guys will be sorry you got what you wished for when you're hit with the marriage penalty too... LOL.

No comments: