Monday, September 12, 2005

Time

Can I pretend this is a 'personal blog' for a second...

When I turned 21 someone told me that after that particular birthday time would fly by. I was skeptical at the time, wondering how after a certain age things would just speed up.

That person was dead on. It's hard to comprehend that 9/11 was four years ago. That the never-ending 2000 election was five years ago. I can't believe that The Man I have been together almost 9 years. I can't believe that we have a six year old that started first grade last Wednesday (and that he is now under someone else's tutelage from 8:30am to 3:40pm five days a week). The hardest thing to grasp is that my baby, my sweet little Mason, has started pre-school today.

I know that it's all natural and how it should be, but I feel like I am gasping for air. The day I brought Justice home from the hospital I was sitting with him and crying. The Man asked what was wrong, to which I replied, "What if he goes to college in California?" It seemed over-emotional and silly in the moment, but with time flying by as quickly as it has been I know that time will be here in a blink.

Recently I disregarded all previous life plans (and in essence past schooling) and decided that I am not going to finish my Master's in Education...but that I am going to go to nursing school. I decided that it was time to get serious. I have been a 'professional student' my whole adult life (and The Man was convinced that I would be forever). It's time to finally decide what I want to be when I grow up. Do I have a burning desire to be a nurse? No, but neither do I have the desire to go even further in debt to obtain another degree in something that doesn't pay well.

Yes, this makes me feel a bit guilty. I know that I would be an excellent teacher. I have that easy connection with kids of all ages that many teachers I have met don't have, but I have been a stay-at-home mom for six years and that has definitely been a sacrifice financially. Hospitals are now paying for certain candidates to go to nursing school with minimal commitments and I have already completed the pre-requisites. In Philadelphia most nurses work three 12 hour shift a week and make $65K and up. This was a tough decision that The Man isn't all that crazy about, but I decided that it was time to get serious and choose a career that would allow me to still be home for the kids most of the time, and also provide a stable second income and that wouldn't increase our debt in the process.

So, time marches on and there is no pause button. Right now my oldest sits in computer class and my youngest is learning how to behave in a classroom environment. I am inquiring into various nursing schools and hospitals looking for the highest bidder and wishing that everything would just slow down...

(While we are indulging in a bit a non-political posting...you should go read a compelling argument by Henjin detailing the death of rock and roll.)

Please stay tuned and tomorrow we will return to our regular political programming...

No comments: