Monday, September 19, 2005

@$!!*&@&%#

OK, I have to do one more post about the 'Katrina blame game'.

Remember I told you last Sunday that I spent an eternity on the phone with Philadelphia Mayor John Street's office trying to find out where I should drop off items for the hurricane victims that were brought to the Wanamaker School in Philly? After my call was pawned off to the 16th person (Was I the only one looking to donate? I doubt it.), I was told to take the items to The Roxborough Salvation Army --which i did.

Friday I received a call from a woman in charge of the Wanamaker School. She wanted to tell me someone could come pick up my items if I couldn't get them there because they really needed them. OMG! I told her that the Mayor's office had instructed me to take them to the Salvation Army and she sounded like she was going to cry.

James Caviezel was down in Baton Rouge at a shelter that was housing 4,000 - 5,000 Katrina victims and the Red Cross was bagging up donations that were coming from all over the country and shipping them out. Caviezel asked how they could be doing that with all those people there that had nothing and they informed him that they didn't have the authority to "hand out clothing". The medical workers began stealing the clothes and marking them "medical supplies" so they could make sure the people got them. "Jesus" spent three days writing orders from people and driving back and forth to Wal-Mart getting diapers and underwear.

If a city Mayor's office and an organization that is trained in disaster response can't fumble through their own bureaucracy and incompetence weeks after the hurricane --how can anyone place blame (on Democrats or Republicans) for a ONE DAY delayed response during the horror?

No comments: