Sunday, August 14, 2005

War Movies...

Last night The Man and I saw The Great Raid, which was wonderful.
Each time I see a movie like that (based on an important historical event that I was unaware of), I have to wonder about the so-called college prep high school that I attended. 511 POWs rescued by 120 Army Rangers and a few Filipino resistance fighters. Why do history teachers suck so bad?

I couldn't help but wonder about the timing of the release of this movie (we just passed the August 6th anniversary of Hiroshima). If you go in feeling remorse and regret about the atom bomb--that feeling quickly fades away when you see how evil and heartless the Japanese army was. I also wonder about it in the context of the modern day GITMO debate. Compared to what our prisoner's of war endured (in these Japanese camps, the Bataan Death March and in the "Hanoi Hilton") GITMO might as well be called Topper's Salon & Health Spa...
I give this 4 out of 5 stars. And my deepest awe and respect goes out to the men that carried out this mission. It may have done nothing to advance the war effort, but it meant the world to 511 American families.

In the onslaught of commercials before the movie actually started, we saw the preview for Jarhead. This movie is based on a book by the same name which was written by a Desert Storm Marine sniper. I was upset to see that Jake Gyllenhaal was playing the main character, Anthony Swofford. Gyllenhaal is an anti-war activist. The causes listed on his website include: Not in Our Name and Moveon.org's Artists United to Win Without War. He has been outspoken about his feelings regarding the Iraq and Afghanistan invasions. So he's against war, but he'll play war if it makes him money? I think it's a disgrace to the Marine Corps that they picked him for this part...

No comments: