Friday, August 05, 2005

Old Skool Feminists shared my Views...

I was looking online for the 'origin of abortion'. The actual origin. I couldn't find anything except the origin in the United States.
When I am cleaning the house my mind always jumps to 1,000 topics a minute. Yesterday I was thinking about the term 'abortion' or 'to abort'. Wondering what the pro-choice crowd would say is being terminated.
Then I began wondering how the first one came about. What prompted that particular medical 'exploration'. Who was the first woman? Who was the first doctor?
I have always said that I consider my pro-life views on abortion to be much more radically feminist than those of NOW and NARAL. In the animal kingdom the killing of the young is what the males do to remove competition or the offspring of other males. This is not a female trait --the females protect the young. I have always felt abortion is the same. A creation of man to control women. Mainly to absolve them from responsibility, only done so shrewdly that women now believe that it's a female power. In my fruitless search for answers I came across this article, and low-and-behold, I am not the first one to believe this.

Susan B. Anthony and many of the early feminists were pro-life -claiming that abortion was the obvious construct of a man ...! Wow, I honestly never knew that this was the stance of the early feminists. Too cool.
They believed that the equality of women and the availability of safe birth control should eliminate the need for abortion.
Matilda Joslyn Gage (feminist) wrote in 1868, "I hesitate not to assert that most of this crime of child murder, abortion, infanticide, lies at the door of the male sex..." (source)

I hesitate to post this because I am not trying to start the 'abortion debate'. It was just exciting to see my own views articulated by such incredible pro-women women...the actual pioneers of 'women's rights'.

No comments: