Friday, August 12, 2005

Mental Illness...

I just heard a news report that claimed a new study out (can't find it online yet) finds that almost half of all Americans (46%) will be diagnosed with a mental illness at some point in their life. I wonder if this is the result of better and elevated access to health care or more behaviors being classified as a mental illness?

I am fascinated with mental illness --all the machinations of schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder, narcissism, passive-aggressive behavior and borderline personality disorder. I took a bunch of psychology classes while I was flirting with the idea of pursuing a career in counseling (No, JR...It’s too much more school!), and I find it riveting. JR and I spend much of our phone time diagnosing people that seem to be oblivious to the fact that they are a walking manifestation of mental disease.

Have you ever met someone that you were convinced had a specific disorder? Did you tell them? Should you tell them? I once told someone and my diagnosis ended up being correct and the person was put on much needed meds...but it's a touchy subject...

No comments: