Monday, August 08, 2005

In the Sandbox...

Military life has benefits

"Life in the military isn’t always easy. Whoever said it would be?

We all deal with hardships — from unaccompanied tours and extended temporary-duty trips to yearlong deployments and sending our loved ones off to battle. Even with all those hardships, when re-enlistment time rolls around, we opt to stay in because of the many benefits we enjoy.

Unlike my civilian counterparts, as a military wife, I never have to worry about my spouse being laid off. I know our paycheck will be in the bank on time, every month, without fail. I know my kids have insurance and access to quality health care facilities, at no cost to me. We are given housing allowances that may not allow us to live the extravagant lifestyles of the rich and famous, but they do allow us to live comfortably.

That our children are able to experience living overseas, being exposed to other cultures, traveling at our leisure, is something that I would never have been able to give them without being in the military.

Being a military family has its ups and downs, but we experience far more ups than downs. If we weren’t happy being a military family, we’d get out."

Wendy Dugan
Miesau, Germany (Stars & Stripes: Letters to the Editor)

...girls of the US Armed Forces...
1, 2, 3, 4, 5

No comments: