Tuesday, July 12, 2005

John McCain

Being a honorable person doesn't make someone a good politician. That's the conclusion that I have come to. I have always had problems criticizing John McCain because his personal story awes me. Awes. That's a hard thing to do. He is a war hero. He is an honorable man (normally an oxy moron). BUT, I have realized that these things don't automatically make him a good politician...

The general public seems to have the same trouble that I do. It's hard to criticize a war hero. People claimed that in the run up to the election conservatives were smearing Max Cleland --we weren't. It was the same phenomenon --he may be a good person and a valiant soldier, but he is a crappy politician (and by the way, we were criticizing the fact that he was capitalizing on his injuries --something McCain never does).

I can't forgive McCain for campaign finance reform. How could he be strong enough stand up to torture, yet allow himself to be used as a puppet for the liberal left? The more I read about it the more incensed I become.
Where did the financing to get McCain-Feingold passed come from you ask?
"The vast majority of this money — $123 million, 88 percent of the total — came from just eight liberal foundations.
These foundations were: the Pew Charitable Trusts ($40.1 million), the Schumann Center for Media and Democracy ($17.6 million), the Carnegie Corporation of New York ($14.1 million), the Joyce Foundation ($13.5 million), George Soros' Open Society Institute ($12.6 million), the Jerome Kohlberg Trust ($11.3 million), the Ford Foundation ($8.8 million) and the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation ($5.2 million)." (source)

So, Senator McCain... I think you are a marvelous person. Your story humbles me. Your politics often piss me off. I can finally say it and I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I hope that you are not the nominee in '08 -because thanks to McCain-Feingold and your flagrant disregard for Free Speech and blind trust in far leaning left...I would have A LOT of trouble pulling the lever for you...

No comments: