Friday, July 15, 2005

I've Eaten Horse...

I really have. I am a good international traveler and if a petite non-English speaking girl from Uzbekistan offers me something wrapped in aluminum foil that her Uncle is renowned for making in their village...I feel compelled to eat it. I shouldn't have asked, but I did. It was "horse wrapped in fat" and it had made the journey from Uzbekistan to England in her un-refrigerated suitcase. It tasted like really salty, really tough roast beef. I choked down three pieces, smiled and raved how good it was. Truthfully I wanted to puke and for years have joked that "I ate Mr. Ed"...

Well, now there is a restaurant serving a horse meal called "Mr. Ed is Dead". Really.

"Restaurant owner David Kerr said Wednesday that he received lots of complaints and abusive phone calls after he started serving horse steaks at his eatery in Hamilton, North Island [New Zealand], as part of an annual event during which restaurateurs compete to offer the best out-of-the-ordinary culinary delights to diners.

The calls were "pretty lively and disgusting and not comforting for the staff," Kerr said, adding that "there was swearing, cursing, horrible language," compelling him to call the police.

Nevertheless, some customers couldn't wait to chow down when horse appeared on his menu at the weekend. Kerr said he sold 10 horse steak meals on Monday night.

"Some think it is appalling but others are really interested to give it a go and want to know where else they can buy it," he said." (source)


Would you eat horse? Have you eaten something worse? When we travel, is it appropriate to eat something as not to offend?

No comments: