Wednesday, July 20, 2005

In the Sandbox...

Male or female, who cares?

In reference to the coed/gender wars, we complain to much. I feel that we spend too much time complaining and not enough time soldiering.

I was an infantryman and have been deployed five times, twice in Iraq. Now I am with the Signal Corps in Balad. I’ve seen war from both sides of the line and all I see is complaining.

And as I read these letters I noticed that none of you is infantry. I have seen women do their jobs, where men haven’t, and vice versa. If you can’t do your job, I will be there to make sure you can figure it out. I won’t do it for you, male or female; that’s not my job. You will get the job done and that’s just it, nothing more.

This Army is getting smarter and so are our mouths. If you are not in a leadership position or your comments do not help the mission at hand, then keep your mouth shut. This is war! People die. While we are complaining, people are fighting. While we sham on our job, people are dying. As soon as we figure that out, the sooner we go home.

Who cares whether you are male or female? I don’t, and I am infantry. If she can pick up that rucksack and shoot that weapon, let her do it. If he can sit in that chair and use that pen let him do that. Because when the convoy gets attacked or the compound gets attacked, and I get wounded and cannot shoot any more, I would hope that anyone of you, male or female, will take my place and continue the fight.

Donald DeLoach
Logistics Support Area Anaconda, Iraq (Stars & Stripes: Letters to the Editor)

...some Army National Guard girls...
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

No comments: