Tuesday, July 19, 2005

In the Sandbox...


Active duty hinders fitness

"I was glad to see your feature article on the obesity problem.

I am a 48-year-old Guardsman. I enlisted after Sept. 11, 2001, following a 20-year break in service with the Marines, from 1978-82. I was appalled at the physical condition of today’s soldier. In fact, being on active duty has seriously impaired my own physical training program and nutrition plan, habits and disciplines that I had kept for 20 years as a civilian. The problems are no secret. In summary:

* Army food is horrid. Processed white flour and sugar and fried foods form the center of any menu in every chow hall. Completely eliminate the desserts, ice cream cases and soda fountains. If you know it’s bad, then why are you serving it? Serve lean meats and fresh fruits and vegetables. Ban food from the barracks so that every single night is not a Doritos and pizza party. Just do it.
* Stop sissifying PT. I am embarrassed at Army PT, if we have PT at all. Stretching to cadence and doing some grade school calisthenics like we do would put Richard Simmoms to sleep. Make PT hard and do it every day. Design a program for men who are warfighters and execute it.
* When did this curious procedure of having soldiers do push-ups for minor offences develop? What a stupid idea! The noncommissioned officer sends the message and reinforces the idea that PT is punishment rather than a good and necessary component of a healthy lifestyle.

I am grateful to the Guard for allowing me the opportunity to serve in this just and necessary war, but I look forward to my tour being up so I can get back to eating healthily and exercising more. It is so hard to stay in shape while in the Army."
Spc. Bill Maughan
Kuwait (Stars & Stripes: Letters to the Editor)
(Seems a bit mean to take simple pleasures away when people are fighting a war, but I could be wrong....)

...some military girls...
one, two, three, four, five, six

No comments: