In Friday's post, Ben encouraged us to read the Amnesty International Report and take it seriously. He contends that President Bush will be sent to the Hague to face charges of War Crimes if things don't change...
Here are some of the alleged violations -and Ben, according to this the US has been in violation since the 70's...
1) "Evidence came to light that the US administration had sanctioned interrogation techniques that violated the UN Convention against Torture"
(I have neither heard nor seen evidence of this nature. It is my understanding that reports proved there was no such sanction from the DOD or the Administration --unless of course this means sleep deprivation. Poor terrorists that were kept awake!)
2) "In the USA, more than 40 people died after being struck by police tasers, raising concern about the safety of such weapons."
(That's right...I forgot that a measley $30,000 a year means cops should be attacked by 300 lb. men on PCP and not defend themselves! Those damn cops!)
3)"The death penalty continued to be imposed and carried out."
(Send George Bush straight to the Hague! How dare he and the courts follow the rules of our own damn country! To the gallows!)
4) "The US government intensified its efforts to curtail the power of the International Criminal Court (ICC). In December, Congress approved a provision in a government spending bill mandating the withholding of certain economic assistance to governments that refuse to grant immunity for US nationals before the ICC."
(Those crazy Americans...trying to block the ICC that would have the power to prosecute our military on their every whim and subject them to the rule of countries that still bury women up to their necks and stone them to death. We are so backwards!)
5) "Conscientious objectors Staff Sergeant Camilo Mejía Castillo and Sergeant Abdullah William Webster were imprisoned; they were prisoners of conscience. Both men remained in prison at the end of the year."
(I believe 'deserter' was the word they were looking for. How DARE we put someone in jail that breaks the law...we ARE inhumane!)
6) "The USA continued to contravene international law by using the death penalty against child offenders – people who were under 18 at the time of the crime. Around 70 child offenders remained on death row during the year, more than a third of them in Texas."
(Once again, damn us for following our own SOVEREIGN laws...)
So these are our offenses... I don't really envision Bush's ride to the Hague any time soon.
And speaking of organizations gone bad...Please go HERE and read about the ACLU shredding documents, as reported by (believe it or not) the NYT...