Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Tempting...

I am not a cat person.
I love dogs purebred dogs. More specifically, I love all the no-nose breeds. Pugs, Frenchies, Bulldogs and Pekinese (Boxers not so much). Not because I am a snob (well, maybe a little), but really because I worked at a vet for NINE years and if I learned one thing (other than you make NO money being a Vet tech and you do it because you love animals and the discount for your own pets) it is that a breed has reliable traits. This is important if you have kids and other pets...you know what you are getting and what to expect if you do your research.
Too many people buy a dog because they 'saw it in a movie' or they 'think it's cute' --not researching can lead to disaster (some calls I got at the vet):
-The girl looking to get rid of her 2 yr. old Great Dane because she lived in an apartment and had 'no idea they got so big'.
-The girl who got a Bull Terrier when she had a house full of cats.
-The guy who bought his girlfriend a pug because they have 'short coats', when he had horrible allergies.
That is why I am not an SPCA mixed-breed advocate. You have no idea what you're getting. The mix could have Chow Chow, or Pit Bull, Dalmation or Husky - and none of those are breeds I would have around my kids...
Anyway, I digress...

My boys both love our dog to death, but are now asking for a cat. I always feel guilty having just one pet because when we go out she's all alone. There is ONE breed of cat that I have always loved (it has the personality characteristics of a dog)... and it's very tempting... But do I really need to clean up anymore poop in a day? Do I need more vet bills?

No...But LOOK!!!!
1,2, 3, 4, 5

OMG! So cute... I really need to stop looking at the pictures before I do something stupid...

*You do not need to email regaling me with stories about the mixed breed that would protect your children with its life. I an well aware there are good mutts out there --but you took a chance, and that's my only point...

No comments: