Monday, April 04, 2005

I Wasn't Gonna Go There...

...but here goes...

I figured that some might be upset when I chose to do a post about a comedian dying a few days after Terri Schiavo's death and while the Pope was drawing his last breaths (Kat was correct, the Pope had yet to pass when I put up the post— though it wouldn’t have changed what I wanted to talk about).

I am not Catholic, nor have I ever been Catholic. The Pope (as a station) means absolutely nothing to me. Each one was a man and John Paul II was also just a man...and an old man that seems to have lived a full life.

No where in the Bible do I find mention of a Pope, or Cardinals or Bishops. The Bible does say that Jesus came and died so that when God looked at us he could no longer see our sin because it would be covered by the blood of his son... Because of Christ's crucifixion we can go straight to God to confess our sin and to talk with him. This meant we NO LONGER needed an intercessor. A priest is an intercessor, right? Maybe because of my Protestant upbringing I have always looked at priests as a bit of a slap in the face to Jesus...he endured what he did so we didn't need them --yet they remain, and I don't understand why. Jesus said, “I am the Way, the Truth and the Light." (Catholic Church ends this quote here, Protestants continue…) “No one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:6)... Not through Priests, Popes, Nuns, Saints, Mary or good works; but only through Christ.

For me personally, the Pope is the figurehead of an organization wrought with problems both theological (at least in my mind) and physical (with the vast ordination and seeming protection of child molesters). I do respect this particular Pope's role in working with Reagan and Thatcher to halt the growth of communism and I respected his strong stance on upholding traditional Biblical teaching even when the world balked. But as a non-Catholic it ends there. To me he is just a man...no better or worse than you or me. No more revered or chosen by God than you or I.

No comments: