Monday, February 21, 2005

Underage Drinking...

The incidence of parents being arrested for allowing their under twenty-one teens to drink at home is rising...
Many parents realize that their teens will drink regardless of what parents' say --so they would rather provide a safe enviroment where the children will be monitored and given rides home. (source)
I am torn with this issue...
Part of me says that I would do they same thing. I have two boys and dread that they will one day be teenage boys (who are notoriously stupid). I know they will drink...on train tracks(?)...and possibly drive(?)...
Aunt Bitchy has a good friend who lost his legs...drinking...on a train track. He climbed a train, stood up on top and 11,000 volts of electricity coursed through his body as his head hit the wires on top of the train. Somehow he lived. Here are pics from after the accident --they are burned in my brain ...they are graphic so you may not want to look at them... (Drinking One, Drinking Two) This was a handsome kid and a sweet kid --and one stupid drunken act changed his life forever... (Thank God he's healed well, and has Even gone skydiving) He has a great sense of humor and the t-shirts at a Beef & Beer Benefit to raise money for his prosthetic legs read: "Got Feet?"

So part of me wants to say...F the law...I want my boys safe and if it means allowing them to party at my house --that's how it will be...
BUT another part of me wonders what message that sends to them. You have to follow rules and laws unless you think you know better --or until it's not convenient for you...?

What do you think?

(All pics taken by AB's Friend Monica Hoover and are the property of her and Brothers From Another)

No comments: