Tuesday, February 22, 2005

TAPE-GATE...

Is Karl Roe slipping? These phone conversations featuring George W. Bush, taped by 'friend' Mr. WEED, should have been discovered and released before the election. They only strengthen all that has been said about this President on this site and others of its ilk. The President is a decent guy who is the same in his personal life as the guy he presents to the Nation. How many of us could be taped unknowingly and come off exactly the same as we do at our jobs? I'd wager not many... Not me for sure. ...EVEN the New York Times had to admit it...
"The private Mr. Bush sounds remarkably similar in many ways to the public President Bush. Many of the taped comments foreshadow aspects of his presidency, including his opposition to both anti-gay language and recognizing same-sex marriage, his skepticism about the United Nations, his sense of moral purpose and his focus on cultivating conservative Christian voters." (source)

Gay Rights:
"Bush corrected Wead when he said that an evangelical leader said Bush promised not to hire gay men and lesbians."
"No, what I said was I wouldn't fire gays," he said on the tapes. "I'm not going to discriminate against people." (source)

"On one tape, Bush explains that he told one prominent evangelical that he would not "kick gays, because I'm a sinner. How can I differentiate sin?" (source)

"I think he wants me to attack homosexuals," Mr. Bush said after meeting James Robison, a prominent evangelical minister in Texas.

"He read aloud an aide's report from a convention of the Christian Coalition, a conservative political group: "This crowd uses gays as the enemy. It's hard to distinguish between fear of the homosexual political agenda and fear of homosexuality, however."

"This is an issue I have been trying to downplay," Mr. Bush said. "I think it is bad for Republicans to be kicking gays." (source)

Christianity and Laura Bush:
"Preparing to meet Christian leaders in September 1998, Mr. Bush told Mr. Wead, "As you said, there are some code words. There are some proper ways to say things, and some improper ways." He added, "I am going to say that I've accepted Christ into my life. And that's a true statement." (source)

"I have got a great wife. And I read the Bible daily. The Bible is pretty good about keeping your ego in check."

"I'm going to tell them the five turning points in my life," he said. "Accepting Christ. Marrying my wife. Having children. Running for governor. And listening to my mother." (source)

Drug Use:
"I wouldn't answer the marijuana questions," he said, according to the Times. "You know why? Because I don't want some little kid doing what I tried."

""What I saw in George W. Bush is that he purposefully put himself in the shadows by his irresponsible behavior as a young person," Mr. Wead said. That enabled him to come into his own outside the glare of his parents' expectations, Mr. Wead said." (source)


Of course most (97%) of the media headlines (and I looked at 342 of them) say one thing..."President hints at marijuana use"... except for the NYT -who actually listened to and authenticated the tapes --their article was complete, and focused more on Bush's private/public consistency and his very moderate views concerning homosexuality. Wonders never cease...
These tapes have validated my feelings about Bush. They have proved that my 'sense' about him as an honest, straightforward man was correct. He is exactly whom he purports to be...and that is a comforting trait for a President to possess. (I can't help but wonder what tapes of Clinton talking about Hillary would sound like...)

"I believe that, like him or not, he is going to be a huge historical figure," Mr. Wead said. "If I was on the telephone with Churchill or Gandhi, I would tape record them too." Doug Wead, Bush family friend and secret taper of conversations.
(source)

No comments: