Thursday, February 10, 2005

The Role of Politics...

...in my life is not what you might think.


Yes, I have a political blog. Yes, I worked tirelessly to get George W. Bush re-elected. Yes, I think a Kerry presidency would have been detrimental to our safety. Yes, I think my vote counts...BUT... No, I don't think that most elections mean much. Did I hear a gasp? Let me explain...

Republican or Democrat, you elect people that are beholden to other people that are way more important than you are...the lobbyist, the big businesses, the Unions, etc. The person you pull the lever for already has their own agenda and regardless of what campaign promises they pledge --it is their own agenda and ambition (and those political promises made to the 'more important people') that will be pursued...

Quite frankly I am SICK of politics. I am sick of the arguing and the name calling. Sick of the condescension (from both sides of the aisle). I can not tell you all how many times my index finger has teetered above the "DELETE THIS BLOG" button. Countless times. The election is over --why is everyone still fighting? Can't we take a two year break before we start fighting over '08? Wouldn't it be awesome if all that energy was used to MAKE the things happen that we all just bitch about? If instead of blogging we all decided to go volunteer at Habitat for a day...or we all decided to call Keystone Soldiers or Adopt a Platoon and ask what we could do to bolster the morale of the troops...

Politics are important to me, not because of the politicians or 'faces' of the party, but because of my core beliefs and values. Politics are part of my life...they are not my life. I can't understand people that would lose a friend over politics ...if you are real friends to begin with -your ideals can't be that far apart and your beliefs are most likely not that different. You might just have different ideas of how to achieve the similar goals. I think many of us fall into that category.

Am I implying that I have never been nasty or condescending because of politics...of course not. I accept my fair share of blame. I hope that I haven't degraded anyone's intentions in my zeal over the election--and if I have I sincerely apologize. My beliefs are important...but my friendships will always come before an election...

My vote may count in the actual tally...but it won't do much for the direction of the country as long as there are lobby groups, PACs and pay-to-play corruption --This is what I remind myself when politics start to creep into my personal relationships. Its flesh and blood and feelings VS. an institution that won't be made or broken with or without me...

Can't we just all get along... (or at least the majority of us that aren't far left or far right...)

No comments: