Sunday, February 27, 2005

'Roid Rage...

By now we have all heard the accusations that steroids are used with abandon in professional sports...gee, there's something I would have never suspected with out Jose Canseco's revelations... *sarcasm font*

My reaction...'big deal'...meaning NOT a big deal. I know --a lot of the hard core sports fans are shocked and appalled...crestfallen even. They don't think that it's fair that Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi or Mark McGwire could set new records while on the juice… if people (like Mantel and Ruth) originally set them when they were clean. I have heard said that this is an unfair advantage and will skew the 'realness' of previous record holders. That if these 'roid-boys set records, they should have an asterisk next to their names in the books...

Bryant Gumbel (Real Sports -HBO) had an interesting take on this. Basically he thinks all the hype is unfounded. To the question –how is it fair to have the new hormone-induced players competing for the same records as the all-natural baseball legends….His answer is that it would all even out with modern factors added to the old timers records. Mantel and Ruth didn't have grueling flight schedules and late night games. They played the end of their games against exhausted starters as opposed to strong closers. They didn't play against black and Latino players. This made me wonder what the hardcore sports people would say to this justification…

If you could have taken a shot in the butt in college before midterms that would have enhanced your memory, would you have done it? You would still have to study your ass off, but you'd remember more.

I guess I have never seen the big deal about steroid use. I did a paper on it for a genetics class I took and what I found was --if done in moderation and not stacked for months on end – they weren’t the ball-shrinking horror the media makes them out to be.

…But then again...I like my men the way I like my meat...tough and full of hormones....
(*joking font Courtesy of Retarius*)

No comments: