Sunday, January 02, 2005

The Unfathomable...

Donna posted about this story the other day and it has just really been bothering me...

A mother from Australia (trapped in the Tsunami) couldn't hold on to both of her sons. One was 5 and the other 2. She made a conscious decision to LET GO of her older son -rationalizing that he, being older, would have a better chance of surviving. LET GO OF HER SON!

"I knew I had to let go of one of them and I just thought I'd better let go of the one that's the oldest," [the mother] told Sky News television. "A lady grabbed hold of him for a moment but she had to let him go because she was going under. And I was screaming, trying to find him, and we thought he was dead."

I have tried to justify this 1,000 times over the past few days. Telling myself I shouldn't judge another mother's decision and I wasn't there so how can I say...

Well, I AM saying...this is HORRIBLE. No way around it. It's all or none in that situation. We all let go and try to make it together. There is no picking one life over another. Who could choose one son over the other?

Luckily for Lachie (the 5 yr. old boy) he was found two hours later clinging to a hotel door. How many years of therapy will erase the horror that his mother willingly let him go?

No comments: