Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Let the Poor Girl Go...

Sorry, I have to break with the party line once more…

When The Man and I first got married, we were watching an episode of Law & Order (one of our favorite shows)...I forget the exact plot line, but it had to do with living wills. "Never let me live like that!" I said to him and he demanded the same of me. This was nothing I felt I needed to discuss with my mom, dad or siblings...I had told my husband. Shortly after this the Terry Shiavo case began to get media coverage (her husband first asked for the feeding tube to be removed in 1998). His story struck a nerve with The Man and I because he described his conversation with his wife in an almost identical manner to ours...watching a TV show that made the conversation relevant and her telling him she would never want to live like that...who would?!

Both Glen Beck and Jeb Bush became very involved (wrongly in my opinion) in this case. Jeb Bush instigated a court order that mandated Terry's feeding tube be re-inserted (Terry's Law)--a decision that was subsequently overturned and taken before FL Supreme Court. The Florida Supreme Court decided yesterday that they would not hear the case (source). There is controversy over whether the husband is looking to get insurance money (which he said was used up long ago) or if the parents had never even visited Terry for years prior to the media attention...but all that aside --she has been gone a long time. They need to let her go. It is wrong for the courts to get involved in a marital pact -aka a living will. He is her husband and when she married him, he became the person responsible for legal decisions regarding her...not her parents. Look what she has become --what pictures people see on the news... Somehow the Shiavo's case has been lumped in with the Pro-life movement(?)... This was Terry's stated wish --and the majority of doctor's agree that she has been brain dead for years. Keeping someone's lungs moving does not constitute life.

I say 'right decision' to Florida's Supreme Court and 'stop letting emotion overtake common sense and cause you to overstep your bounds' to Governor Bush.

Rest In Peace Terry...you deserve it after all these years...

No comments: