Monday, December 13, 2004

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

I have never had any luck with cars -nor with people that I try to help...

My first car was a 1978 VW Rabbit (an automatic with a sunroof and a hitch(!)) that my Dad and CWA LET me buy *ahem* for $900...

It was in the shop more than it was on the road and when it got to the point that my mechanic refused to work on it anymore I went and got my first loan to buy a new (to me) vehicle. I found an older couple selling a GMC S-15 Jimmy- thier son had been deployed to the Gulf and wanted the money. This was back before the term SUV was a household name and all my friends kept saying, "Why would a girl want a truck." I LOVED my Jimmy. Of course, when I bought it I had no idea how to drive a manual, so it was a scary first month for all my friends.

During this time a friend of a friend got sent to Juvee for a 'prank gone wrong' and I heard that no one was writing him. I felt bad for him and became his lone penpal. He loved getting my letters as the envelopes would be covered in Pusshead drawings and complete with lyrics from 'Suicidal Tendencies'... He wrote me once or twice a week, constantly telling me how all his real friends had abandoned him and how he relyed on me to get him through whatever was happening in there.
This is one of the pics he sent me while he was 'away'...
George Adams

Nice story, right...wrong. The night he was released (about 8 mths. later) he came to a party --got wasted --stole the keys to the Jimmy out of my purse and proceeded to get into FIVE hit and run accidents...it ended in 7 officers with guns drawn. I shit you not.
To make a long story short -he went back to jail, parents bailed him out, and then he skipped town with a "friend's" Social Security card. There is still a warrant and a judgement for $5000 that I will never ever get...

When they tow your vehichle you have 30 days to recover your personal effects -I went two weeks after the accident(s) and they couldn't find the box that held the contents of the truck. MY LIFE was in that truck. Over 100 tapes (ha), tons of clothes, my senior yearbook, shoes, purses.... I was SO depressed (maybe the defining moment of my staunch conservatism).

Recently, while planning a high school reunion, I was telling a girl from my graduating class this story and how I wished I could see the senior yearbook again...I had called the school years ago to see if any extras had been floating around...
"No sweetie, and that's a shame, didn't you design the cover?"
A few weeks after talking to this girl, a package arrived with a beautifully wrapped gift in it. It was the 1989 senior yearbook! The girl had called around and found someone that had two for all these years. It is one of the best gifts I have ever received... It had been over 12 years since I had seen it...

The moral of this story? I must remain constantly aware that my professionally diagnosed savior complex drives me to acts of liberalism that I always regret in the end....

1 comment:

esgaroth said...

THE 80S RULED!!!

I love that hair! I wish I could have pulled something like that off...most of my classmates looked a lot like that guy in the picture with you...totally Alex Keaton.

best,
Sharon