Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Johnny Depp?!

Roald Dahl is my favorite children's author. I think he was a genius....no, he was a genius. Many may be surprised to know that he HATED 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory' (1971 movie adaptation)--and the main reason was that he abhorred Gene Wilder in the role. (I, personally, thought he was brilliant) I do agree that the movie has a very different tone than the book.

Due in part to this and other movie disappointments, Dahl's wife had honored his wishes and not sold any movie rights for his stories since his death. After years of begging and wooing Tim Burton (another favorite of mine) has managed to get the rights to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and has re-made the movie.
Now, obviously the role of Willy Wonka is integral to the success of the movie. I had THE PERFECT actor to play Mr. Wonka....Christopher Walken...
Am I wrong?! Of course not, he would be perfect!

BUT... Mr. Burton has cast Johnny Depp ONCE AGAIN...(does he have blackmail pics of him or what?) Now girls, I know you think he's cute and you loved him in 21 Jump Street....but, he is a pretty boy and he is WAY too young to be Wonka. The premise of the 'golden ticket' contest is that Mr. Wonka is getting up there in age and has no successor to run the chocolate factory. Apparently Marilyn Manson was actively campaigning for the role. To no avail, but --I actually think he would have been better than Depp...
Watch the trailer and see what you think...

This is a Tim Burton movie, so I think that it will still be great despite the terrible casting of Willy Wonka. Sorry Chris...it should have been you!

No comments: