Tuesday, December 14, 2004

An Eye for an Eye...or Not...

So, it seems that Scott Peterson has indeed received the death Penalty (lethal injection) for the murder of his wife Lacey and son Connor. Of course, this is in California which probably means that he will die of old age before he is actually ever injected...

I thought that it was a little sick that people were cheering outside the courthouse when the jury returned the sentence.
To be perfectly honest, I am not quite sure what I think of the death penalty.
BUT, before you lefties get too excited it's probably not for the reasons that you think... I hate that it takes so damn long after so many appeals (even when there is concrete DNA evidence). I hate that the taxpayer/victim's family (i.e. Sharon Rocha -Lacey's Mom) will be funding Scott's stay for the next 25+ years. Paying for him to work out, use the internet, go to school, etc. I also hate the thought of anyone innocent being put to death. I also hate the thought of anyone guilty going free....

It is really a tough proposition and unless it was a child molestation/murder case with solid physical evidence, I think I would indeed have trouble recommending death for another human being. It was hard enough for me to make that decision about my dog when he was dying of a brain tumor... Anyway, the other day I think Free surprised everyone when he said that he was against the death penalty. I know Riceburner is also. In light of Peterson's sentence that was given on a circumstantial case...I thought I'd throw the death penalty question out there. I am not saying that Scott shouldn't die for taking two lives -- I am not sure what I think truthfully... Help me hash it out.

No comments: