Monday, December 06, 2004

The Day the Music Died...

This past week I realized that I have been letting politics totally consume my life (I am sure this is no newsflash). About a year ago I completely stopped listening to anything but Talk Radio: Bill Bennett, Laura Inghram, Rush, Sean, Savage, Drudge....all talk all the time. I stopped watching anything but news: Fox (of course), C-Span, MSNBC, CNN, and Meet the Press all in lieu of movies, shows or anything for purely entertainment purposes.
These past couple weeks since the election have been a rebirth. I know that is a bit dramatic, but it's true. CDs have made their way back into the Jeep and the enjoyment derived from them seems to have exceeded pre-election levels...maybe absence does make the heart grow fonder...

"So here we are tonight, you and me together
The storm outside, the fire is bright
And in your eyes I see what’s on my mind
You’ve got me wild, turned around inside
And then desire, see, is creeping up heavy inside here
And do you feel the same way as I do now
Now let’s make this an evening
Lovers for a night, lovers for tonight..."


Ahhhh, yes! Dave Matthews. I can now forget that your politics are abysmal (because we won!) and loose myself in the raw passion of your lyrics...

"I'd been the tempting one
Stole her from herself
This gift in pain
Her pain was life
And sometimes I feel so sorry
I regret this the hurting of you..."


Pantera! I have no idea what their politics are, but I didn't care -there was no time -there was election to win... But now 'This Love' can resume its place on ALa's 'most played songs' rotation.
Eminem always holds a seat of honor (I just skip past the anti-Bush song on the new CD), Metallica (pre-rehab of course), Suicidal Tendencies, The Fugees, De La Soul, Natalie Merchant, Counting Crows, No Doubt...

"...and if you complain once more, you'll meet and army of me..."

BJORK! God, I missed you girl.

Killing in the Name Of -Rage Against the Machine
Guns and the Young -The Bosstones
Speak English or Die - S.O.D.
Dead Skin Mask -Slayer
Eulogy -Tool

There are indeed posts to be written about the much needed dissolution of the U.N. and the removal of Kofi Anon...But today, let's just celebrate music and media and how wonderfully fulfilling it can be without the infiltration of politics into it's midst. I have turned off talk radio (sorry Sean!) and have returned to the days when car rides were about music and relaxing (not jotting notes while trying to drive through Philly traffic).

"I find sometimes it’s easy to be myself
Sometimes I find better to be somebody else

So much to say..."

No comments: