Wednesday, November 24, 2004

What I'm Thankful For....

Being that tomorrow is Thanksgiving (and somehow my post this morning was erroneously perceived as controversial?), I thought I would post what I have been thankful for over the past year.

1) The continued health of my family. This has been a hard year for our little family (with The Man's accident and all that ensued in the aftermath), but we have almost made it through...mostly intact. (My immediate family also --even though they are scattered from Japan to California this year).

2) All the wonderful women that I have in my life: To name just a few...My Mom, my sister, Rose, Nora and Louise...what would I do without all of you?

3) The Re-election of George W. Bush. No, this is not meant to be political...it is one of the things I am truly thankful (and grateful) for.

4) The fall of the brutal dictatorship of Saddam Hussein (thanks to our incredible military) and the abrupt end to the rape and torture rooms that where his mandate.

5)The fact that my University finally got all my information transferred to the new computer system and promises I am set to resume graduate classes in January!

6) That Justice loves Kindergarten (and is doing so well), and that Mason is making major strides in Speech (and has yet to rebel against it like so many his age in speech therapy do).

7) All the wonderful friends and adversaries that I have met here...especially Jen, BigandMean, Tammi, Kat, Bonnie, Ghost, Free, Redleg, Butterfly, Tom, Cig, Jericho, AF Sister, Keystone and Frater (I truly have enjoyed meeting ALL of you).

I hope that everyone has an enjoyable holiday...remember to take the giblets OUT of the turkey before you cook it...Boys, help clear the table BEFORE you plant yourself in front of the football game...try not to stress out over the 'little' things...
Happy Thanksgiving!

Post-script: I must tell you that not ten minutes after posting "try not to stress over the little things'...(Seriously...10 minutes...) I went upstairs to hang with the boys for a bit. We heard a downpour and Justice was like, 'Mom, it's raining so hard!" I was surprised too, it was crappy here all day -but this was a full fledged down pour...
Then, as I realized the noise was coming from INSIDE the house, I ran to the upstairs bathroom to find there was water to my ANKLES...Ran back down the steps to find my dining room completely FLOODED... the area rug DESTROYED and the dog's crate FLOATING....
This is the first Thanksgiving to be held at my house, you see... The first time I am cooking everything and having people here...
I called The Man (he seemed concerned that I was 'so calm'...I inform him it's that or go lay in the middle of the street -which is what I felt like doing....). I tell him to stop somewhere...anywhere and get a new rug on the way home (mind you it was almost 10 pm the night before a holiday...)
Plumbers came...replaced the toilet (sounds crazy, but their shop is next door...) We now are the proud owners of a pressure assisted toilet (commercial) -that's all they had....and a new rug...
Don't stress over the little things.
BUT the stuffing is made and the pumpkin pie is cooling on the counter...
Happy Friggin' Thanksgiving!

No comments: