Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Technical Difficulties...again and again and again...

Our computer seems to have chosen November 10, 2004 to die. We had the whole thing rebuilt less then a year ago...so I am at a loss. Currently I am at my Mom's on her computer...typing up some invoices for The Man's business and getting my daily fix (here).
We have had trouble with the computer since the day after its purchase...from Gateway...note to self: you should have listened to computer-geek-friend who said 'Gateways suck, don't buy it'...

Operator: This is Gateway, how can I help you today?
The Man: Yeah, unfortunately I have a Gateway and I am having some trouble with it...
Operator: What seems to be the problem Sir?
The Man: I'd like to throw it out of the F***ing window.

The scenario: Turn on computer -loading -user screen appears -Click on ALa's user name -begins to load-entire machine turns off. Message displayed before implosion: userinit.exe -Application error. Application failed to initiate properly (0xc0000142). G-Man help!

I tried 'system restore' twice to no avail... To scream or to cry?

I had a great post planned about my visit with my Grandfather yesterday --
He is a WWII vet who was in the pacific for three years on the USS Sigourney. He just had his yearly reunion (which they combined a while back with the Korean War guys from the same ship) and there are only nine of them left. NINE! He is a bit younger because he lied about his age to enlist...the Navy was better than the orphanage in those days...
He has great stories...
Shipmates who siphoned alcohol from the torpedoes that would be taken to the engineering room and distilled --and drank. Worse, drinking 'Vitalis' (hair stuff? -thanks Oracle...I had no idea) when all else failed.
Poppy seeds in the bread...that weren't poppy seeds at all.
The long-awaited, but cancelled, R & R to Sidney --so an officer could get his last stripe.
Hours granted on 'conquered' islands --that boasted nothing but shot up trees.

I am grateful that my boys have had the opportunity to meet both of my Grandparents on my Mother's side...

Hopefully I can resolve my technical difficulties and resume life as usual...
Please don't take it personally if it is taking me longer to respond to emails!
Calgon!

No comments: