Wednesday, September 29, 2004

GPS Implants for My Kids Please...

This morning I was listening to Michael Smerconish on the radio. I think I have talked about him before…he is a Philly talk show host (former lawyer), does occasional commentary on CNN and just wrote a book called ‘Flying Blind –How Political Correctness continues to Compromise Airline Safety Post 9/11’ (he testified in front of Congress about this also). Anyway, I never used to listen to him because he was on too early, but now that I have to drive Justice to school every morning I get to hear him. Both my dad and The Man have told me that I (or my blog) remind them of Smerconish…that we have similar trains of thought—I haven’t heard enough of him to say if I agree yet…but this morning he was discussing something I have been talking about for a long time…

During the brief part of the show that I caught today, Michael was talking about the possibility of implanting GPS chips into CIA officers, soldiers etc. Subsequently, if they were captured Special Forces could swoop right in –save them and kill the animals who took them. Those of you who know me in real life can attest to the fact that I have been saying this about children FOREVER. If we have LoJack for our Jeeps…why wouldn’t we have it for our MOST valuable possessions?

I guess one of the major drawbacks of being a news-junkie is the ‘missing children’ stories that always haunt me… Actually, they don’t even have to be children –I sent a card to Lacey Peterson’s mom soon after she ‘disappeared’. (She was 27, pregnant with her first child –who was a boy and already named Conner…I was 27 when I was pregnant with Justice –my first child who was a boy and already named Justice….I felt a connection with her). If there is ANY chance in the world that your child could be abducted, raped, dismembered or tortured --why wouldn’t we be doing more to prevent it from happening? The LoJack commercials promise your car will be located in 30 minutes (and they boast a 90% success rate) –and with ‘missing persons’ they say that the first 24 hours are crucial –so couldn’t this technology virtually eliminate the horror of child murders outside the home? Why don’t we have GPS for humans?

I know –the conspiracy people will say that the Government could then track your movement…but I say, so what? They wouldn’t be mandatory. You don’t have to get your kid one –but I want it and would implant it in them myself if need be. This is my biggest fear as a parent. I watch family after family cry on Larry King and wonder how they possibly go on after something like that…knowing your child died scared to death in some horrific fashion.

I had never expanded this train of thought to include soldiers…then again before the past year I was never cognizant of the sacred ancient Muslim practice of beheading either… With this technology Daniel Pearle, Matt Maupin, Nick Berg, Jack Hensley and Eugene Armstrong could all still be alive and Abu Musab al-Zarqawi could be very dead…

Why aren’t we doing this yet? Do Americans value their Audis more than their children and their soldiers –or could it be that we haven’t made this technological leap…or are people so paranoid that they would keep their privacy over their lives?




7 comments:

Cigarette Smoking Man from the X-Files said...

I'm not so sure that such implants would necessarily keep abductees alive, but at the least, if they were implanted in such a way that it would take sophisticated surgery to remove them and yet keep the subject alive, it WOULD be a way to quickly track where the terrorists had BEEN, at the very least, and such people as provide safehouses for such activity can themselves be rounded up and dealt with severely. And some clues might turn up as to where they'd gone.

And in some cases, yes, it could provide real-time data for rescue operations. I'd say make it an optional procedure for any contractors--soldiers are probably too numerous to do this to, and don't seem to figure heavily in these abduction scenarios.

Here's a slightly more devious and sinister and mischieveous idea that just snuck into my head: take convicted felons here at home (top priority being pedophile serial killers) and offer them an alternative to execution, by way of getting the implant and placing them in high abduction-risk situations in Iraq. If they survive the ordeal, they are free to go... in IRAN.

free0352 said...

Since the smallest gps system I've ever seen is the size of a cell phone, I wonder where'd you'd put that thing? I, as a fighting man, will pass as I have horrid ideas of where some navy doctor would think it should go (Can't....sit..down...)


Debates are tonight, I've no predictions, but I think its' Bush's ellection to lose as Kerry is in a political tailspin. Even John Stewart is basically calling him a flip-floper. Am I the only one who thinks all the rules for these debates are f'n crap? they can't even ask each other questions for pete's sake. Anyway, I can see Bush's point for this as public speaking on the fly ain't his strongest point...But niether is Kerrys (snore)

any way, interested to hear your thoughts on it tomorrow ala71

Keystone said...

This would be a great idea if the rest of the world valued human life as much as we do. As a mother and the mother of a soldier I can see the potential for disaster here too.
Can you imagine a tracking device in the hands of a terrorist? If they can find weapons they could surely find a tracking device. How many of our troops could be slaughtered this way. How many of our children put in danger?
Tracking is also done through satellite. Could they hijack one and know where all our troops are? If they can hijack several planes all at once the chance is always there that they could hijack a tracking satellite. How many would pay the price then, either as hostages or targets for suicide bombers?
I do agree there is something wrong with a system that values their "things" more than their children and their troops. It means that those of us who do care must be twice as vigilant and work even harder to let those in danger know there are people supporting them and working to help them in any way possible.

On a side note...I love your blog and read it every day. I missed you when you were on vacation. Keep up the great work and keep supporting our troops.
I have never posted here before but I also want to thank you for the link to our site. www.keystonesoldiers.com

~Keystone

Cigarette Smoking Man from the X-Files said...

Keystone,
Generally speaking, a closed and intolerant society like radical Islam will tend not to be as technically proficient, because information flow has to go through ideological filters. This is why America's Manhattan Project succeeded before Nazi Germany's program. It's also why we "out-tech'd" the Soviet Union during the Cold War. And in a similar vein, it's why, shortly after 9/11, freedom-loving hackers kicked the crap out of Islamic terrorist hackers in a widespread hacker war that took place, mostly in European servers of the Internet. Some terrorists were actually identified and physically rolled up by European police agencies that way. Terrorists DO have SOME hacking capability, but it's not as proficient as that achieved by freedom-oriented people. I think hijacking satellites would not be something that terrorist hackers are up to snuff, to achieve. They can play cat and mouse with al Qaeda websites, but then, most anyone can do that with PGP and an Anonymizer account. Defense (against being identified) is a much easier game to play than offense (actually breaking in), in the high-tech world.

ALa said...

CSM: Well, we could use the convicted felons to see if the radio waves (or whatever is used) would cause long-term damage...felons, hmmmm...maybe just track them and we won't have to track the kids. My Baptist friend has a problem with the idea of a tracking chip --because he thinks it's the 'Mark of the Beast'...

Free: LOL...I was thinking more of a small chip implantation than a cell phone sized object...hahaha...

Keystone: Welcome...I love your site! I actually emailed Michael Moore a letter from one of the soldiers that I found there -no reply of course...
I have a bunch of shoes and sandals and wasn't sure if your program is connected or separate from Operation Shoe Fly...? I just need a box and I can send them off. If there are any immanent needs for any of the guys over there -PLEASE feel free to post them in the comments here!!!! Have a great day!

Keystone said...

Hi ALa,
Our shoe program is separate from Operation Shoefly. Ours are going to the children of Iraq and are being distributed by a PA soldier. I believe we are over 1,000 pair now. Both programs help the real victims of the war...the children.
We are working on the Christmas stockings to get them ready for transport. We need lots and lots of stockings and things to put in them. Anyone interested in helping is welcome to contact us. keystonemilitary @ yahoo dot com
Thanks again!
~Keystone

Cigarette Smoking Man from the X-Files said...

ALa71, I've heard hundreds of hours of shortwave radio programming where they get explicit as to why they think tracking implants are the "mark of the Beast". When they get to be required prior to buying and selling, I might start to scratch my head and say HMMMmmmmmm... but until then, I say use 'em.