First of all, I had promised myself that I would be internet free while I was away...I cheated and peeked at the site shortly after my arrival (already a bit grumpy from an eight hour car ride). I read what Rab wrote (2nd post) and quickly shut down the computer...I vowed that I would not let this *cough* "writer" ruin my time.... Being perfectly honest, I did stew for a bit --resisting the urge to shoot back right away. Then something happened. A friend of mine (M), that lives where we were visiting, stopped by with a 'belated' Birthday cake. It was homemade (she doesn't normally cook) and itwas even two layers. It had a little picture of President Bush and a GOP elephant done painstakingly in red, white and blue sugar. M is a liberal. How cool is that! All of my ire melted away and I realized that I had nothing to be upset about. Most of us can have very different political views and be civil --some of us can even have very different political views and be great friends --few of us can have very different political views and spend hours on something that is the opposite of our views just because it will make a friend smile... I have that in my life --I would dare to guess that the "writer" Rab does not.
What 'Rab' does have is the ability to prove my point that 'peace activists' are often pretty nasty people. Sticks and stones Rab... I was going to respond by simply deleting all of his comments (nice little links to his silliness at the end of them all) --I do welcome discussion, but if I wanted blind hate and lies -I would see Moore's film or read Moveon.org's webpage. BUT I will not be a party to censorship the way that the ACLU and the left seek to censor all conservative thought. Then I thought about challenging him to put up his life against mine --his charities, his volunteer time, his sacrifices for his fellow man -to see how the talk of the left holds up to the action of the right...but then I realized I would have no way of knowing what was true. I came to this conclusion: There has been plenty of healthy discourse on this page and he is the only one that has ever gotten nasty--so he can feel free to "monitor my repugnant site" and he can link me as 'the danger to society' and he can even label me a "fascist" --and I won't censor what he writes (I guess blowing the whole 'fascist theory'), I would still hold the door for him if he were behind me, and will refrain from bomb-throwing and name calling (though I have some good ones)....I guess that's just the difference between him and me.
I know this will be long but I must answer specific charges made (not only by Rab the 'writer', but also TWD and Lefty-I retract the previous 'chivalrous' comment boys):
1) I would think that this would be obvious, but I guess not --I did not comment on the last post--I specifically wrote that I wasn't commenting...so it would be hard for me to be "posting slanderous comments" IF I DIDN'T COMMENT.
2) The "rich republican donor" donated 100,000 to Swiftboat Vets for Truth a 527. How much has George Soros donated to moveon.org a 527? 11 - 15 MILLION... I don't hear ya complaining about that...
3) I didn't derive from "one article" that Kerry committed war crimes ...I derived from Kerry saying that he committed war crimes that Kerry committed war crimes. Hmmmm, I thought that was an easy one too....
4) I linked the website because it is relevant -because Kerry has made his 4 mths. in Vietnam the center piece of his campaign. I didn't comment because I am waiting the read the book-- UNFIT FOR COMMAND when it is released (8/13)
5) The 'facts' that I put in one of my comments are not my facts --they were directly from an except of this book -UNFIT FOR COMMAND -in a store near you on August 13, 2004. These were not from me (or Sean Hannity Mr. LeftyJones) -they were from Kerry's fellow officers. As for John McCain (first TWD -I don't know why this would mean anything to me either way as he has been quite the RINO lately) BUT McCain thought that this ad was put out by Ted Sampley (who runs Vietnam Vets Against John Kerry). Sampley had smeared him in 2000. McCain was wrong -Sampley had nothing to do with this ad.
In summation, I wish Vietnam wasn't an issue. The fact is, that regardless of what I think of his actions when he returned from Vietnam (which were 'repugnant'), he was awarded medals of honor. Another fact is that Bush was given an "Honorable Discharge" from the Air National Guard. That should be the end of it. This should be a referendum on the President's performance over the last four years put up against Kerry's record in the Senate over the past 20 years...end of story. But you people can't have it both ways...if you are going to ignore the 'fact' and accuse Bush of being a deserter, and if Kerry is going to walk into his convention with a Band of Brothers and 'report for duty' -choosing to run on his four months in Vietnam instead of his 20 years as a senator --then this is what it opens up. Why should the 13 on the stage with him have a voice and escape vetting -while the 250 against him get accused of...well you name it and they have been accused of it. Why can we not question Kerry because of his service and medals -yet these men (who served longer and many of which have more medals) can be readily dismissed....I just don't get it. Ask yourself this...if you found someone that said that they could prove that George Bush really didn't show up to the NG duty for a year...would you finance the commercial -or the book? I think we all know the answer already................
(Thanks Kat --your comment kept me sane *smile*)
P.S. Notice that Rab 'the writer' never said anything about Mumia --I threw it in there to see if he would bite (these people are so predictable)...and of course -jackpot!