Watching a re-run of Bill Maher's show last night got me thinking...it got me furious too, but that is for another post. Bill made what I feel was an erroneous statement--He claimed that 'liberal' has a negative connotation in our society, but 'conservative' doesn't. I am not sure where Bill lives, but it sure ain't in Philly (bad gammar used purposely for effect).
Being a conservative in Philadelphia is a risky proposition --espcially when you have 'Bush/Cheney '04' on the back of your vehicle. I have been flipped off, growled at, cut off (so the driver behind me can get in front of me to make sure I see his "Like Father Like Son -One Term and You're Done" bumper sticker), and tailed late at night by hulking men in those tiny almost-trucks (AKA union thugs)...You name it -it's happened. So, I reject the notion that 'conservative' is an ideology that is widely accepted and embraced...
That train of thought dropped me off here:
Liberals often object to general terms being used: such as 'terrorist' or 'homicide bomber'...I have been advised on numerous occasions to understand that the 'opposition' is another human being. They say that if we 'understand' them, we won't dehumanize them --and subsequently demonize them.
So, in an attempt to make myself 'more human' --and detract from the moniker of 'angry right-wing blonde' --I will divulge a bit of personal information.
That being said --this was inspired by JustRose who thinks I need to expose my underbelly a bit more (to prove that it doesn't have scales on it).
1. I might as well get this right out of the way...I love fruitcake. Not just the expensive kind with the real pineapples and almonds, but even the cheap gooey stuff with those disgusting green things in it.
2. I love lists . I have been known to make lists of lists that I need to write.
3. I smoke. It is my one vice and I love it.
4. I don't drink. Not out of a religious conviction -or a 'recovering' problem...I just don't like it.
5. I watch the Sound of Music at least six times a year.
6. One of the only foods that I actually crave is Peanut Butter Captain Crunch.
7. I am obsessive about matching -even undergarments or pajamas (what if there was a fire?) --This causes me to have to switch handbags everytime I change.
8. I have a Coach Bag fetish...I have a lot (which helps with fact #7). I sometimes go into the Coach store just to inhale the leather.
9. I also have a 'soft t-shirt' fetish. I have been known to fondle t-shirts...even if there is someone in them. (James Pearce and C&C -ALa71 tested & approved)
10. The name choices for my second son were Dionysus or Bronte...proving that it is not always beneficial to be the child of an English major. We named him Mason.
11. One entire room of my house is adorned in Marilyn Monroe memorabilia.
12. I am only 5'2 and I have never wished that I was taller.
13. In high school I played field hockey, softball and was a cheerleader. I once got MVP.
14. My son, Justice , and I walk for miles on the beach early in the morning to pick up trash.
15. I still watch 'The Real World' and 'Road Rules' (OK, so I have 2 vices)
16. My youngest son wants to be 'popcorn' when he grows up.
17. I have a very silly sense of humor --during the most heated arguements, if my husband says something ridiculous ('squishy underpants') I find it impossible to stay mad.
18. I have met Sean Hannity twice...a picture of me, him, and my boys will live forever on my refrigerator.
19. I love dogs with no noses: pugs, frenchies, bulldogs and mastiffs. I feel guilty about it, but I don't like mixed-breeds (but I have been bit badly twice -both times a mixed-breed). We have a Freedom Bulldog named 'Tink'...
20. I often sing into my round brush while I am driving --this embarasses my husband to death!