Sunday, July 25, 2004

Labels

So I find myself turning 33 tomorrow and looking back at what makes me –me…

I received an email the other day from a fellow blogger (FarenHate 9/11 listed as a movie favorite) that basically stated (not this bluntly of course): How can a person that listens to Dave Matthews and Bob Marley be a Conservative? How can you hear Bob belting out One Love and hate everyone that is not like you…just curious…have a great night…

I will be the first to admit that I label people-I do. I make it a game in my head actually…when I am driving I watch people and create who I think they are: “Deaniac” to the scruffy bearded Birkenstock boy in his early 20’s, “Bar softball league” to the slightly beer-bellied, too-old-to-be-wearing-his-baseball-cap-backwards guy with the faded green Miller Lite t-shirt…you get the point.

I HATE to be labeled. Hypocritical? I don’t know…I meet many 20-somethings (as I have a sister and three brothers that are all 20-somethings) and they are SO predictable. They are MTV, they spout pre-packaged opinions and find themselves enlightened because they French-kissed their best friend in 10th grade. They all gave Dean $25 because that’s all they could afford working non-profit for the Philadelphia Clean Air Council. They all think smoking is horrible and are vegetarians, but have all done Special K and Ecstasy. They all dress like they live at Goodwill and wear no makeup and even the cutest of them has uglied herself up beyond recognition with pointy little Lisa Lobe glasses.

I try not to be condescending. I really do, but for all their PETA literature and statistics about the number of people in Africa that have to sleep on dirt floors and not mattresses –what have they done? They are so self-absorbed. They remind me of that commercial where four girls are standing in a bathroom all looking at the water running and exclaiming how awful that is and what a waste of water and drag on the environment…as they stand there in horror another girl walks over and turns the water off. I am that girl. They are looking at the waste, wearing cute-slogan t-shirts about it, but I am turning it off.

I wrote an entire diatribe about compassionate conservatism and how I got to where I am…all the good things I do…and then I deleted it.

It’s easier than that…At 33 I am the girl who just turns off the water.


(*exception: one 20-something brother actually volunteers quite frequently*)

17 comments:

justrose said...

You have outdone yourself with today's photographic selections.

I think this is a great post. And I agree with you.

justrose said...

which reminds me of the time some girl at work didn't want to do Secret Santa because she thought it would be better to support a family instead -- God, I couldn't stand her sanctimonious positions on everything, like company morale counts for nothing? We have to give our last dime to charity? We were always knocking heads, me and her. Meanwhile, that year, she probably took some luxury vacation at Christmas while I spent my last 20 bucks to put something in the toys for tots barrel -- that was the kind of person she was. Talking about my animal charity stuff once, she said to me why did I bother when CHILDREN'S charities and rights were ever so much more important?!?!? And I told her I'd supported a kid in the third world for the past twelve years. Which I had. She went to bother someone else then.

~Jen~ said...

That "I want to marry this tree" picture made me laugh so hard.

I sure have laughed a lot this week. You and Rose and Lefty have had me rolling in the aisles, so to speak, pretty much everyday.

This post was another great one. Scarlot posted somewhere in the blog universe (can't remember where since we both post all over the place these days) about how people are always shocked when we tell them we are republicans. On more than one occasion we have been told "but but but...you're both so NICE! Most of your friends are gay! You work in the performing arts world! How can you NOT be liberals!!!". So bloody irritating.

Here's one of my favorite Reagan quotes for you from February of '88:
"A friend of mine was asked to a costume ball a short time ago. He slapped some egg on his face and went as a liberal economist."

God I loved that man.

~Jen~ said...

Rose!!!! The same thing happened to me and Scarlot at work!!!! One of our liberal friends (we don't EVER talk politics) insisted that we adopt a family at Christmas instead of doing "secret santa". She's a nice person, but I knew she was judging the gifts that people brought in. It made me very uncomfortable.

That's the bottom line problem that I have with liberals. In addition to the various hipocracies, they think they know better than me what is best for me and especially what is best for my own money. I choose my own charities, thank you very much.

~Jen~ said...

hypocrisies? I am not a good speller.

justrose said...

Amen sister. Apparently they adopted the family at Christmas after I left the job (I was the secret santa organization elf), not that I think this is a bad thing my liberal friends who visit this blog, but the secret santa served a different purpose from "charity at Christmas." It helped people to bond better and work together better to serve our clients, which was the POINT of our organization and why we came to work everyday. Instead this goodwill offering within our company turned into yet another bleeding heart podium. What a shame.

leftyjones said...

I did NOT give you permission to use that picture of me and my beloved tree on our wedding day!!

this we'll defend said...

Hey Lefty! I can't believe my tree is cheating on me...

this we'll defend said...

Ala71 - you are right to point out how silly it is for us liberals to assume that all right-wingers aren't nice, or that they can't listen to Bob Marley, or that conservatives don't care. Hypocrites. They buy into a stereotype that all conservatives are alike. All those liberals thinking like that are so silly. Anyone that would stereotype people ignores reality in favor of an easier black-white dichotomy, oversimplifying the world. That is why all liberals, as you said... oh wait....

"You're either for us or against us."
W on consensus building

riceburner147 said...

re: Secret Santa
Setting too good an example is a kind of slander seldom forgiven.
B Franklin (Poor Richards Almanac)

Tammi said...

First - Happy Birthday Tomorrow. Mine is this week also (but I'd hurt someone to be 33 again!!)

The labels, well they are hard to get away from. Both the giving and the getting. As long as we remember that they are generalizations and that individuals don't fit into those little cubby holes I don't see a big problem with it.

It's human nature. And while there are the generalizations that fit, the individualism is there also. You just gotta look for it. But that's the fun in getting to know people. The sad part is that some of the time what you find isn't so good. Luckily that isn't all that often.

If more people would LIVE their beliefs instead of just talk about them it would be a much better world.

Anyway - my .02 worth

ALa said...

Tammi_ I noticed that you were a LEO too! Happy Birthday! We really are the best aren't we...hahaha (another label!)

this we'll defend said...

Yeah - I forgot. Happy Birthday! I hope it is a good one (and your picture makes you look 21 BTW - I would "card" you).

ALa said...

TWD -I got carded buying cigarettes today...what a wonderful birthday present! lol

That 1 Guy said...

ALa71, Happy Birthday! (Tammi sent me.)

Nice blog!

Kat said...

This was very funny to read. I was just having a discussion with my youngest brother where I ended up calling him a moron about 20 times. Ahhh...sibling love. I was so ticked, I came home and wrote about it. I started to delete it, but then I thought, nah, even if somebody reads it and thinks I am mean, whatever!

Yeah...love Dave Matthews. Metallica. Three doors down. Whatever. Are we defined by our music? I love country music, classical, blues, heavy metal. What does that make me? Schizophrenic? LOL

Harvey said...

[leaves box of chocolates]

Tammi told me I should bring a gift ;-)

Happy Birthday!